I slept well for the first part of the night, but then awoke to noise from nearby trains taking iron ore to the port. Ho hum.

The first day of the Narvik Dive Festival. We get down to the clubhouse, which is on the harbour side, with boats moored under and so the side. Must be number 1 in distance from clubhouse to boat in the water. We book ourselves on the trip to the 'Romanby', a freighter sunk in the 1940 battles. We then do the usual chatting with others while waiting for the safety briefing. There are just the four of us on the large rib, nice and smooth to the site.

The line takes us to the mid-ships area. Frode and I go though a large companion way taking us to a hold, I drop into the hold for a quick gander, but they holds are completely empty. Then I notice a bit of bright green, a largish torch that I loop to my own. Up again to deck level towards the stern. We drop around the curvature of the stern from the port side and then back up the starboard side. We slowly make our way along to the mid-ships, then the bow looking in various rooms on the way. We drop off over the bow and hang looking up at it. Back to the mid-ships to look around, then slowly up the mast, then the line with John and Kyrre as well.

Max. depth 27.8m, 50 minutes, 21%, 6°C

Back on shore we have a lunch of waffles and cheese, then we are due at the local museum for a presentation at 1pm. After a bit of shopping, we arrive at the museum. The have many items from the various ships and planes involved in the Narvik Battles. There was also a piece of waterline armour from the Tirpitz. It is 400mm thick.

The video is shown in English, which was good for me! Then the Naval Historian started talking, then showed a German video of events, including surviving German''s talking about how the British shot at them as they floated in the water. At the end of a very long talk from the historian (I could tell others were bored too), I was tired so decided to call the next dive and get some kip.

Again my sleep is interrupted, this time by the local police. The hostel is used to house some refugees and the police were delivering food to them. I decide to walk down to the club to meet up with every one. I arrive just as the boats are returning, feeling a little stiff. We pack up the gear and return to the hostel. Kyrre is off home on family duties, the rest of us are staying. There is diving video arranged for 8pm, so some of us go for some pizza first, then back to the bar for the video. By now my shoulder is beginning to ache, along with my elbow. Could be all the kit and boat hauling done, but I wonder.

The video is of another wreck that cannot usually be dived. This is the 'Norge', one of two 1900s warships that Norway tried to defend Narvik with. They were somewhat out classed and were sunk very quickly. The organiser of the Festival, Frank, does have a licence and he shows some of his own video of it, along with some of the ''Romanby''. By now I am a bit fed up with the pain in my shoulder and elbow and have a chat with Frode. We have brought oxygen with us, so we decide to put myself on it and drink water. Frode makes the call.

I speak to Doctor Aanderud in Bergen who is one of Norway's DCI specialists. He decides, on the basis of the description of the last dive and the other diving, that we had best be recompressed as a precautionary measure. Now they have to organise evacuation. Knowing from others'' comments, I pack a rucksack with wash kit and books. I also stuff everything else into my travel bag for others to handle.

Frank drives Frode and myself to the local hospital. I am examined and tested. Fingers to nose, stand on one leg with eyes closed etc. Some of you know the score. I don't appear to have any other symptoms. I am transferred to the hospital's oxygen system and put on a drip. Ouch. Around this time, it is realised that Frode has done another dive after mine, including a bounce to 30m or so for a quick look for a weight pouch. He goes into another room, also put on oxygen and a drip. He is coming with me.

While there are closer chambers, we will be going to Bergen. The local chambers are not always manned. The air ambulance will be coming from Tromsø, to pick us up. This is going to take time. A similar set up here would be having a problem in Scapa, the plane coming from Aberdeen and taking us to Plymouth. A long time. We wait in hospital until the plane is near and then we are transferred to Narvik airport, a few minutes drive away. Comedy moment here, the fuel hose is not long enough, so we have to drive away from the plane again while it is moved. We transfer to the plane carrying our drips, seated, connected up to oxygen again and take off.