As a result of last minute spaces available on a hard boat from Plymouth, Phil White and myself would be diving the Scylla and James Eagan Layne. Ideal wrecks for Phil on his Ocean Diver limit of 20m.

We met up with other divers I knew at Mount Batten at 9.30 to load our kit onto Furious, a large boat that has been operating from Plymouth since 2003. Plenty of deck space, benches and a lift. Licensed for 12 divers up to 60 miles from base.

These were to be Phil's first dives off a hard boat, as well as diving the Scylla and J.E.L. for the first time. We put our kit together and kitted up before leaving shore. Furious is quick, we would be on site within 20 minutes.

We were the third pair in, descending in vis of about 2m. Not great, but a good test of my new torch. Light sabre effect in full force. We started the dive on the port side, just short of the bow. We went up to the bow, where the anchor chain appeared to be almost horizontal. Now I seem to remember that the chain was pretty much vertical, so perhaps the wreck has shifted in the storms of last week. All the marking buoys had been ripped off. The dive continued back to the bridge and over midships to starboard side and a lone conger. Down to the hanger, inside a bit, but very dark. Out again and to stern. We then swam back up the port side, before making our ascent.

As most of the other divers only had one cylinder, it was back to Mountbatten for air and lunch. Phil and I stayed on the boat, enjoying a chat and a cup of tea with the skipper Pete.

Digger, the trip organiser fancied doing the Glen Strathallan as the second dive, but was rapidly persuaded that the James Eagan Layne would be so much better. We were third pair in again, but Phil's octopus regulator started free flowing. By the time we had sorted that out, we were now the last pair down. Pete had requested that the last pair make sure that the shot was clear to lift. This required a trip into a hold, where another pair had started getting it out. This accomplished, we started our dive proper.

We immediately found the engine, which was a good recognisable item to show Phil. We then made our way around a small area of the wreck, but seeing wagon wheels and some of the other now-unrecognisable goods the ship was carrying. It was very dark, and vis again 2-3m. Phil got to see his first Conger, as well as a couple more dog fish. Due to the earlier free flow, the dive was a little curtailed, but much better than the first dive.